EARMA represents the community of Research Managers and Administrators (RMAs) in Europe. Our members work in industry, academia, the public and private sectors. We work with the EU Commission, national and international funding agencies. EARMA provides a networking forum, a learning platform, and a place to share experiences and best practice among RMAs throughout EARMA and in the wider RMA community.
Our members work at the forefront of building the European Research Area. Our goal is to invest in the people supporting and managing research so they can be as productive and happy as possible and therefore contribute in the best way to scientific research and to society.
We are a non-profit organisation under Belgian law. Our members are mainly academic (universities and research organisations). We organise a conference for more than 1100 people each year, have a training programme and other events which are mainly organised in Brussels. We have 180+ institutional members (organisations) and 200 ordinary members (persons). EARMA celebrated its 25th year as an official organisation in 2020 and has built a great reputation in Brussels and around the world. EARMA members are at the core of our association, particularly those who contribute as volunteers. More information on EARMA:
EARMA is looking for an engaged and enthusiastic professional to work 2 days per week as a Senior RM Liaison/Senior Project Advisor for a Horizon Europe project ‘Creating framework conditions for research management to strengthen the European Research Area’ (RM RODMAP) in which EARMA is a coordinator.
The selected candidate will report directly to the Head of Projects.
The EARMA Executive Office operates under the leadership of the EARMA Managing Director. The selected candidate will work in a team with the Head of Projects, Managing Director, Project Assistant and EARMA Chair.
The Senior Project Advisor should be prepared to travel for work several times per year. Additional events will be held in an online format.
Location of employment: Remote work and/or at the EARMA office based in Leuven (Martelaerenplein 20E) depending on the profile of the person engaged. EARMA is considering moving the office to Brussels. EARMA as an employer encourages a personal and professional life balance and invests in trust relationships for its employees.
The expected start date is 1st September 2022.
The contract will be signed for a 12 months with a trial period of 4 months. The contract can be extended by 12 or 24 months to cover the full project duration depending on mutual agreement between EARMA and the parties involved.
- Contribute to the co-creation exercise which will include an open call for up to 40 RM ROADMAP Ambassadors from across Europe to join the project
- Gather the intelligence and input from national and local Research Management (RM), gaining their perspectives for the project
- Advocate for the project’s prospective users and promoting the project resources and services and help with value proposition
- Fostering the creation of communities of practice between the ambassadors to exchange best practices, teaching tools and promoting the development and insertion of collaborative international practices into existing training.
- Facilitate the establishment of cross-cutting and multidisciplinary virtual ‘Communities of Practice’. These are active members who are practitioners, or "experts," in the specific domain of Research Management (RM) and participate in a process of collective learning within their RM domain/thematic group
- Contribute to the development of a ‘Business case’ to raise awareness of the role of research management
- Disseminate and develop actions and advocacy methods that will be included in the project roadmap to ensure a wide reach to key audiences and a strong impact on relevant stakeholders
- Report internally on the Horizon Europe project and make any connections with the EARMA community needed (e.g. EARMA committees, thematic groups etc.).
- Keep accurate time records of your work
- Contribute to the production of the deliverables required
- Liaise with relevant partners and stakeholders
- Produce high-quality analysis and synthesis documents and/or reports
- Prepare surveys and polls
- Any unforeseen tasks arising from the needs of the project/EARMA office
- At least 10 years’ experience with the Research Project Life Cycle, European Research Funding, EU Research Policy, Professional Development of Research Managers and Administrators nationally, European and Globally
- Excellent communication skills in English
- Experience with RMA communities, associations and the relationships between different associations
- Insight into pathways to recognition of the RMA profession
- Experience in working in a team and with communities and multiple stakeholders
- Experience with deadlines
- Excellent soft skills/people skills
- Talent for organisation and eye for detail
- Able to work independently and as part of a team in an international context
- Experience with European associations
- Experience with EU projects and specifically EU framework programme projects
- Experience in engaging with and/or starting a community
- Knowledge of and/or experience with INORMS and The Leiden Group
- Knowledge of the workings of Research Funding Organisations (in Europe)
- Insight into the US Research Administration and funding landscape (NCURA, SRAi, NSF, DARPA, NIH,…)
- Deep understanding of the value of Research Management and Administration at the organizational and system’s level and able to articulate this value to different target groups (RMA’s, policy makers, researchers,…)
- Experience in writing policy papers
- 40% position (16 hours per week) as a seconded staff member or on a consultancy basis fitting the categories of the Horizon Europe AGMA:
- Costs for natural persons working under a direct contract
- Costs of personnel seconded by a third party against payment
- A contract for 12 months which EARMA can terminate after a 4 month trial period
- 32.000 euro for a 12 month period to perform on average 16 hours per week.
- The chance to work in an international environment of motivated and passionate staff and volunteers on an ambitious project aiming to shape the future of Research Management
- The chance to contribute to a non-profit with an excellent reputation and to help science and society in your daily work.
- The chance to attend project meetings and events in Brussels or abroad several times per year (costs reimbursed).
EARMA will also cover reasonable expenses and expenses linking the office and IT equipment of the selected candidate with the EARMA office. EARMA will not cover the core IT equipment of the selected candidate nor any relocation costs.
Applications should not be sent via LinkedIn, but via email to Borana Taraj, email@example.com.
Applications can be submitted up to and including 22 June 2022 but please submit your application as soon as possible. We will evaluate on a rolling basis.
Applications should include in attachment your CV and a Cover letter (in English) with “Application: Senior RM Liaison/Senior Project Advisor” in the subject:
- A cover letter (motivation letter) not longer than 1 A4 page.
- An extended cv
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited to a first interview by videoconference end of June 2022.
- Second interviews will be held by videoconference early to mid July.
These dates are indicative and may be changed.
No travel costs will be covered by EARMA.
EARMA aims to ensure that no job applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of race, colour, nationality, religion, ethnic or national origins, gender, marital status, caring responsibilities, sexual orientation, disability or chronic illness.