EARMA represents the community of Research Managers and Administrators (RMAs) in Europe. Our members work in industry, academia, the public and private sectors. We work with the EU Commission, national and international funding agencies. EARMA provides a networking forum, a learning platform, and a place to share experiences and best practice among RMAs throughout EARMA and in the wider RMA community.
Our members work at the forefront of building the European Research Area. Our goal is to invest in the people supporting and managing research so they can be as productive and happy as possible and therefore contribute in the best way to scientific research and to society.
We are a non-profit organisation under Belgian law. Our members are mainly academic (universities and research organisations). We organise a conference for more than 1100 people each year, have a training programme and other events which are mainly organised in Brussels. We have 180+ institutional members (organisations) and 200 ordinary members (persons). EARMA celebrated its 25th year as an official organisation in 2020 and has built a great reputation in Brussels and around the world. EARMA members are at the core of our association, particularly those who contribute as volunteers. More information on EARMA:
EARMA is looking for an engaged, enthusiastic and independent-minded colleague to work on a portfolio of three European funded projects (H2020 and Horizon Europe) and possibly other projects in the future.
The Project Assistant will be part of the EARMA Executive Office. The selected candidate will report directly to the EARMA Head of Projects.
The EARMA Executive Office operates under the leadership of the EARMA Managing Director. The person will work in a 3-4 person team within the 10-12 person EARMA Office.
The Project Assistant should be prepared to travel for work several times per year and to organise and host 1-3 events per year in Belgium or other locations across Europe. Additional events will be held in an online format.
The expected start date is 1st September 2022.
*The selected candidate will be offered an employment contract of undefined period (translated form ‘contract van onbepaalde duur’). This is a permanent contract but it includes by default by law a trial period and standard notice periods. The current contracted projects running at EARMA will run for 36 months following 01/09/2022. There will be an important evaluation in February 2025 as to the future of this job depending on the EARMA project portfolio, other activities and priorities at that time.
Location of employment: EARMA office in Leuven (Martelaerenplein 20E) with a possibility to combine with working from home (2 days per week). EARMA is considering moving the office to Brussels and the selected person must be willing both to work in Leuven and Brussels depending on the choice of office. The employee will not be able to choose a location, there will be only one office. EARMA as an employer encourages a personal and professional life balance and invests in trust relationships for its employees.
- Support a portfolio of three H2020 or Horizon Europe CSA Projects and possibly other projects in the future:
- ‘Creating framework conditions for research management to strengthen the European Research Area (RM RODMAP). More information here. The project will start September 2022 with EARMA in the role of project coordinator.
- ‘Improving Research Ethics Expertise and Competences to Ensure Reliability and Trust in Science’ (iRECS). The project will start in October 2022 with EARMA in the role of project partner.
- ‘Standard Operating Procedures for Research Integrity’ https://sops4ri.eu/. The project will end 31 December 2022 with EARMA in the role of project partner.
- Facilitate the establishment of communities of practices. These are active members who are practitioners, or "experts," in the specific domain of Research Management (RM).
- Engage with the EARMA thematic group on Ethics and Research Integrity (ERION) based on the needs of the running projects: https://earma.org/erion/.
- Report internally on the Horizon projects and make any connections with the EARMA community needed (e.g. EARMA committees, thematic groups etc.).
- Keep accurate time records of your work, write meeting minutes and produce the deliverables required.
- Liaise with relevant partners and stakeholders.
- Facilitate, organize and coordinate events and workshops.
- Produce high-quality analysis and synthesis documents and/or reports.
- Prepare surveys and polls.
- Any unforeseen tasks arising from the needs of the projects/EARMA office.
- At least a bachelor degree or equivalent in experience
- Experience with project management
- At least 1 year of working experience
- Excellent communication skills in English
- Excellent IT skills, including in standard office software and in database management and online communication tools (Zoom, MS Teams)
- Experience in working in a team and with communities and multiple stakeholders
- Experience with deadlines
- Excellent soft skills/people skills
- Talent for organisation and eye for detail
- Able to work independently and as part of a team in an international context
- Experience with European associations
- Experience in organising events
- Experience with the academic sector
- Experience in managing EU projects and specifically EU framework programme projects
- Experience in engaging with and/or starting a community
- Experience with project management software
- 100 % position as an employee of EARMA.
- A permanent contract (dependent on external funding after August 2025)
- A gross monthly salary of between 2.000-2.300 euro
- Meal vouchers (standard Belgian system)
- Working from home allowance (140 euro per month)
- Internet allowance (20 euro per month)
- The benefits package will amount to a disposable income of at least 2.000 euro per month net for the most heavily taxed profiles (package = Salary + meal vouchers + allowances)
- Number of holidays: 28 days (if legal conditions in the previous year were met)
- The chance to work and network in an international environment of motivated and passionate staff and volunteers.
- The chance to contribute to a non-profit with an excellent reputation and to help science and society in your daily work.
- The chance to attend project meetings and events in Brussels or abroad several times per year (costs reimbursed).
- Office equipment including laptop
- Hospital insurance (DKV)
- Reimbursed public transportation
- Eco-cheques to the maximum annual amount
- Mobile phone subscription
Applications should not be sent via LinkedIn, but via email to Borana Taraj, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications can be submitted up to and including 22 June 2022 but please submit your application as soon as possible. We will evaluate on a rolling basis.
Applications should include in attachment your CV and a Cover letter (in English) with “Application: Project Assistant” in the subject:
- A cover letter (motivation letter) not longer than 1 A4 page.
- An extended cv (publication list not required)
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited to a first interview by videoconference end of June 2022.
- Second interviews will be held at the Leuven office on the end of June to early/mid-July.
These dates are indicative and may be changed.
No travel costs will be covered by EARMA.
EARMA will not cover any relocation costs for the successful applicant.
EARMA aims to ensure that no job applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of race, colour, nationality, religion, ethnic or national origins, gender, marital status, caring responsibilities, sexual orientation, disability or chronic illness.