EARMA represents the community of Research Managers and Administrators (RMAs) in Europe. Our members work in industry, academia, the public and private sectors. We work with the EU Com- mission, national and international funding agencies. EARMA provides a networking forum, a learn- ing platform, and a place to share experiences and best practice among RMAs throughout EARMA and in the wider RMA community.
Our members work at the forefront of building the European Research Area. Our goal is to invest in the people supporting and managing research so they can be as productive and happy as possible and therefore contribute in the best way to scientific research and to society.
We are a non-profit organisation under Belgian law. Our members are mainly academic (universities and research organisations). We organise a conference for more than 1100 people each year, have a training programme and other events which are mainly organised in Brussels. We have 180+ institu- tional members (organisations) and 200 ordinary members (individuals). EARMA celebrated its 25th year as an official organisation in 2020 and has built a great reputation in Brussels and around the world. EARMA members are at the core of our association, particularly those who contribute as vol- unteers. More information on EARMA:
EARMA is looking for an engaged, enthusiastic and independent-minded colleague to work on digital events, support and sometimes manage in-person events and take care of the EARMA membership management.
In addition, the person will have an important role in managing the EARMA IT platform to facilitate the registration to events and especially our yearly 1000+ person conference (in Prague in 2023, Madrid 2025). Membership management will include answering membership and event related questions. The membership and events questions at the first level will be answered by interns. The Membership and Events Officer will brief and help the interns and other colleagues in addition to answering the more complex questions.
This job does not include the financial and accounting part of events and membership management as this is handled by a colleague and the EARMA accountants.
The selected candidate will be part of the EARMA Executive Office. They will report directly to the Head of Member Engagement
The EARMA Executive Office operates under the leadership of the EARMA Managing Director. The person will work in a 4-person team within the 10-12 person EARMA Office.
The Membership and Events Officer must be prepared to travel for work one or several times per year and to organise and support the hosting of events in Belgium (usually Brussels) or other locations across Europe.
The expected start date is 1st August 2022 or as soon as possible after this date.
*The selected candidate will be offered an employment contract of undefined period (translated from ‘contract van onbepaalde duur’ (Dutch)). This is a permanent contract but it includes by default by law a trial period and standard notice periods.
Location of employment: EARMA office in Leuven (Martelaerenplein 20E) with a possibility to combine with working from home (2 days per week). EARMA is considering moving the office to Brussels and the selected person must be willing both to work in Leuven and Brussels depending on where the office will be located. The employee will not be able to choose a location, there will be only one office. EARMA as an employer encourages a personal and professional life balance and invests in trust relationships for its employees.
- Organise digital events from start to finish (plan event, speaker communication and briefing, drafting agendas, preparatory meetings, surveys, updating the annual event planning excel, presentation/abstract management,...)
- Use and configure the EARMA digital platform to facilitate digital and in-person events (Registration module configuration, answer questions, create, edit and manage events, create access links, brief the Head of Communications,...)
- Manage the EARMA membership (renewal) and (manage the answering of) member or event questions (supported by other colleagues or interns)
- Support EARMAs in-person events where needed and occasionally take the lead on the organisation if required
- Manage or support the EARMA annual conference abstract submission (last year 170+ abstracts), conference programme building on the website, registration module set-up and management, control the registration process and answer registration questions
- Take the lead in exploring and mastering the EARMA IT platform and any new systems.
- Take the lead on explaining systems to the rest of the team where needed. (Training on the EARMA platform will be provided.)
- Support the management of and engagement with online EARMA communities.
- At least a bachelor degree or equivalent in experience
- Ability to adapt to changes quickly and work under (time) pressure
- Experience in organising events
- Excellent communication skills in English (C2)
- Excellent IT skills, including in standard office software and in database management and online communication tools (Zoom, MS Teams)
- Very good knowledge of Excel
- A fondness to work with and master IT tools from the user and admin perspective (not developer)
- Experience with deadlines
- Excellent soft skills/people skills
- Talent for organisation and eye for detail
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in an international context
- Experience in organising online events
- Experience in customer service
- Experience in the MICE sector or broader hospitality sector
- Experience in populating websites and registration tools
- Experience with surveying tools especially survey monkey
- Experience with the academic sector
- 100 % position as an employee of EARMA.
- A permanent contract (dependent on external funding after August 2025)
- A gross salary of between 2.000-2.300 euro/ month
- Meal vouchers (standard Belgian system)
- Working from home allowance (140 euro/ month)
- Internet allowance (20 euro/ month)
- The benefits package will amount to a disposable income of at least 2.000 euro per month net for the most heavily taxed profiles (package = salary + meal vouchers + allowances)
- Number of holidays: 28 days (if legal conditions in the previous year were met)
- The chance to work and network in an international environment of motivated and passionate staff and volunteers.
- The chance to contribute to a non-profit with an excellent reputation and to help science and society in your daily work.
- The chance to attend project meetings and events in Brussels or abroad several times per year (costs reimbursed).
- Office equipment including laptop
- Hospital insurance (DKV)
- Reimbursed public transportation
- Eco-cheques to the maximum annual amount
- Mobile phone subscription
Applications can be submitted up to and including 20 June 2022 but please submit your application as soon as possible. We will evaluate on a rolling basis, please submit as early as possible and do not wait until the deadline.
Applications should be sent to Johanna Roodt, Johanna.email@example.com AND Marie Hynne Østvang, firstname.lastname@example.org
- A cover letter (motivation letter) not longer than 1 A4 page.
- An extended cv
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited to a first interview by videoconference at the latest in the week of 20 June 2022.
- Second interviews will be held at the Leuven office on Thursday, 23 June 2022. These dates are indicative and may be changed.
No travel costs will be covered by EARMA.
EARMA will not cover any relocation costs for the successful applicant.